How to get a copy of an Ontario birth certificate online
A birth certificate is a record of a birth that happened in Ontario. It is a government document that can be used as proof of identity.
To order a birth certificate you will need:
- your first and last name, mailing address, and phone number
information of the person on the birth certificate:
- first, middle, and last name, date of birth, gender and city of birth
- previous legal names for the person named on the birth registration (if applicable)
- parents information including the mother's maiden name
A guarantor will be needed for people 9 years of age and older.
Note: The birth must be registered in Ontario to use this service. Please use the 4-in-1 Newborn Bundle if you have not registered the birth of your child and the child is less than 1 year old.
first birth certificate:
- short form: $25
- long form: $35
replacement birth certificate:
- short form: $35
- long form : $45
You can have 1 short form and 1 long form birth certificate. For security reasons, if you order a replacement copy of either certificate, any previously issued certificates will no longer be valid.
VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Interac® Online
Certificates are put in the mail within 15 business days (or you get your money back).
Pick up service is not available.
Online completion time
Average 20 minutes.
Recommended for you
This service is tested daily with McAfee SECURE™ to ensure the security of the transaction and information.
What you need to know
A short form birth certificate includes basic information and can be used as identification. It includes this information:
- last name
- given name(s)
- date of birth
- certificate number
- date of registration
- registration number, and
- date issued
A long form birth certificate is a certified copy of the birth registration. You might need it if you:
- move to another country
- become an executor for a foreign estate
- are adopting a child abroad, or
- fill out certain citizenship or immigration documents
If you are unsure if you need a short form certificate or long form certificate, please check with the Ministry, government agency, or person requesting the document before you order.
Who can apply for a birth certificate
You can apply for a birth certificate:
- if the application is for your own birth certificate and you are at least 13 years old
- if the application is for your child’s birth certificate and you are named as a parent on your child’s original birth registration
- if you are the legal guardian of a child and you can provide court documents proving that you have custody of the child
- if you are the next of kin, executor or estate administrator, and the person named on the certificate is deceased. (You must provide proof of death; e.g., a death certificate or a funeral director’s statement of death, and any other documentation requested by ServiceOntario)
If you are applying for a deceased person’s birth certificate you will only be able to obtain a long form (certified copy). Short form birth certificates are not issued for a deceased person(s).
If you order online (regular service): certificates are put in the mail within 15 business days (or you get your money back).
If you order online ($30 premium service): certificates are delivered to you within 5 business days (or you get your money back).
Read the terms and conditions
Apply for a service guarantee refund
Check order status
You can check the status of your online application 1 business day after you submit it.
To check the status online, you need:
- to indicate the type of certificate you requested (birth, death or marriage)
- applicant’s name and telephone number
- name of the subject (the person to be listed on the certificate)
- date of the event, and
- order / file number, if available
Other ways to apply
The ServiceOntario centre at: 47 Sheppard Avenue East, unit 417, 4th Floor
Toronto, ON M2N 5N1 is the only location that accepts emergency service applications.
For this, you will also need to bring:
- proof of urgency
- an additional $30 per document.
2 business days plus delivery.
Cash, cheque, money order, credit card, Interac
Completed applications can be faxed to 1-807-343-7459
6 to 8 weeks
Completed applications can be mailed to:
189 Red River Road, PO Box 4600
Thunder Bay, ON
6 – 8 weeks
Cheque, money order, credit card
Order a birth search
You can request a search if you do not know the exact date of birth.
A search will verify that the birth has taken place and has been registered with the province of Ontario.
You will receive a letter in the mail giving you information that matches the criteria within the years you searched. If no information is found you will still receive a letter stating that no information was found.
To request a search you can use the same online service as a certificate application but you will select the search option and indicate how many years you would like to search.
Note: Searches do not offer the same online guarantee as a certificate and there is no emergency service offered for a birth search.
$15 for every 5 year period that is searched
6 – 8 weeks
Historical events, such as deaths prior to 1980, marriages prior to 1980, and births prior to 1930 may not be in electronic format.
When applying for a death certificate prior to 1980, marriage certificate prior to 1980 or a birth certificate prior to 1930, it can take up to an extra 6 to 8 weeks for the registration to be converted into an electronic format before processing can be completed.
Registrations that are not available electronically are not included in the service guarantee.