Eastern Ontario Development Fund
How to get support to expand your business or bring business to your community in eastern Ontario.
Recommended for you
How it works
The Eastern Ontario Development Fund gives money to businesses, municipalities and not-for-profit organizations for economic development in eastern Ontario.
The fund supports projects that:
- create jobs
- encourage innovation, collaboration and cluster development
- attract private sector investment
The geographic area
Eastern Ontario includes the following 15 geographic areas:
- Kawartha Lakes
- Leeds and Grenville
- Lennox and Addington
- Prescott and Russell
- Prince Edward
- Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry
Who is eligible
Two types of funding are available through the fund: business and regional.
To be eligible for the business stream, businesses need to:
- employ at least 10 people
- commit to creating at least 10 new jobs
- be able to provide 3 years of operations/financial statements
- be located in, or plan to locate in, a community in eastern Ontario
- invest at least $500,000 in their project
Small Community Pilot
Businesses with 5-10 employees located in small communities may be eligible for funding from the Small Community Pilot.
A “small community” is a municipality with a population less than 20,000 or with a population density of less than 100 persons per square kilometre.
- a minimum investment of $200,000 over 4 years
- a 50% increase in current employment
To be eligible for the regional stream, projects need to:
- focus on economic and business development and job creation in the community or region
- align with provincial and regional priorities, e.g., introducing new forms of innovation, taking part in province-led economic development initiatives
- invest more than $100,000
- have private sector support
- be used for activities that are new to the organization
Projects in these sectors are eligible for funding:
- advanced manufacturing (automotive, aerospace, plastics, clean technologies)
- life sciences
- processing (primary and secondary)
- information and communication technology
- cultural industries
The first step in the application process is the checklist. Complete the checklist first and submit it to the Eastern Ontario Development Fund office. After your checklist is reviewed, a staff member will contact you. He or she will work with you on the next step: the full application form.
Funding amount: up to 15% of eligible project costs for a maximum grant of $1.5 million.
Investments of more than $10 million that also create more than 50 new jobs may be eligible for a loan of up to $5 million.
Successful applicants: you will need to contribute at least 50% of total costs from your own resources or through private financing.
Funding amount: up to 50% of eligible project costs for a maximum grant of up to $1.5 million.
Successful applicants: you will need to contribute at least 35% of total costs from your own resources or through private financing.
You are not allowed to combine (or “stack”) Eastern Ontario Development funding in either stream with other provincial programs.
There is no deadline. You can apply any time throughout the year.
How to apply
Step 1: contact a regional staff person for help with your application.
Step 2: submit an eligibility checklist and staff will confirm that your project is eligible.
Step 3: once you know you are eligible, complete the application forms.
Business Stream Application Package
The Business Stream Application Package is a compressed ZIP file containing the Business Stream Application Guide (PDF), Business Stream Eligibility Checklist (DOC), Business Stream Application Form (DOC), Business Stream Workbook (XLS) and Population Data for the Small Community Pilot (XLS).
Download the Business Stream Application Package (ZIP) and unzip the contents to get started.
Regional Stream Application Package
The Regional Stream Application package is a compressed ZIP file containing the Regional Stream Application Guide (PDF), Regional Stream Eligibility Checklist (DOC), Regional Stream Application Form (DOC) and the Regional Stream Workbook (XLS).
Download the Regional Stream Application Package (ZIP) and unzip the contents to get started.
Successful projects need to:
- align with the fund’s goals of investment attraction and job creation
- provide economic benefits (create jobs, contribute to the region or develop the sector)
- be achievable (i.e., applicants need to have the necessary financing, project management structure and experience to implement the project)
You will get a decision within 60 business days of submitting an application.
Regional advice desks
For advice on developing and strengthening your application, you are encouraged to contact our regional office at:
Phone: 613-241-3841 ext. 224
Toll Free: 1-800-267-6592 ext. 224
For more information, please contact us at:
Ministry of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure
Regional Economic Development and Co-ordination Branch
340-366 King Street East
Kingston, ON K7K 6Y3
Email: contact us