Ontario Research Fund: Research Excellence
How to apply for funding to help cover the cost of research operations (e.g. salaries, supplies, etc.)
Recommended for you
How it works
The Ontario Research Fund – Research Excellence (ORF-RE) provides research institutions with funding to help support the operational costs of large-scale transformative research of strategic value to the province.
Who is eligible
Eligible institutions include:
- research hospitals
- non-profit research institutions
ORF-RE provides up to 1/3 of the total value of a project with the remaining 2/3 from a combination of private sector and institutional contributions. Generally, the minimum support provided by the ORF-RE to a project is $1 million and the maximum support provided is $4 million.
How to apply
The application process involves 4 steps:
- notify your research office that you plan to apply
- your research office submits a Notice of Intent to apply (a document that lets the government know you plan to apply for an award)
- prepare the documents for your application package according to program guidelines and application instructions
- your research office submits the complete application package to the Ministry of Research and Innovation
Notice of Intent due: February 12, 2014
Last date to mail complete application package: July 15, 2014
The review panel scores applicants on:
- research excellence
- research impact
- research translation
- project management and governance
Unsuccessful applicants will get a copy of the review panel’s comments.
Ontario Research Fund – Research Excellence program: information about supported projects
Notices of intent received
Application form and guidelines
Download the Notice of Intent form (PDF)
Download the Application form (PDF)
The following information package is a compressed ZIP file containing the guidelines and application instructions required to complete the forms.
Please refer to guidelines, Notice of Intent form, application form and application instructions. If you have any further questions, please contact: