Ontario Research Fund: Research Excellence
How to apply for funding to help cover the cost of research operations (e.g. salaries, supplies, etc.)
Recommended for you
How it works
The Ontario Research Fund – Research Excellence (ORF-RE) provides research institutions with funding to help support the operational costs of large-scale transformative research of strategic value to the province.
Who is eligible
Eligible institutions include:
- research hospitals
- non-profit research institutions
ORF-RE provides up to 1/3 of the total value of a project with the remaining 2/3 from a combination of private sector and institutional contributions. Generally, the minimum support provided by the ORF-RE to a project is $1 million and the maximum support provided is $4 million.
How to apply
The application process involves 5 steps:
- notify your research office that you plan to apply
- your research office submits a Notice of Intent to apply (a document that lets the government know you plan to apply for an award) by July 31, 2015
- read the program guidelines and application instructions
- prepare your application and submit to your research office
- your research office mails the complete application package to the ministry by January 19, 2016
The review panel scores applicants on:
- research excellence
- research impact
- plan for achieving research impact
- development of research talent
- project management and governance
Applicants will get a copy of the review panel’s comments.
Ontario Research Fund – Research Excellence program: information about supported projects
Please refer to guidelines, Notice of Intent form and application form. If you have any further questions, please email us.