Ontario Research Fund: Research Infrastructure
How to apply for funding to help cover the costs of research infrastructure (e.g., renovating facilities, purchasing equipment, etc.).
Recommended for you
How it works
The Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure - provides research institutions with funding to help support infrastructure needs such as modern facilities and equipment.
Both the Ontario government and the Canada Foundation for Innovation provide funding.
You need to apply to both programs at the same time.
The Ontario Research Fund - Research Infrastructure has three programs.
- helps cover the costs of building/renovating and equipping facilities to conduct collaborative academic research
- co-funds with the Innovation Fund
- helps cover the costs of acquiring/renewing research equipment (e.g., specimens, scientific collections, computer software, information databases)
- co-funds with the John R. Evans Leaders Fund
- helps cover the costs of building, renovating and equipping research facilities to promote college-industry partnerships
- co-funds with Canada Foundation for Innovation’s College-Industry Innovation Fund
- participation from private-sector partners is essential
Who is eligible
Eligible institutions include:
- universities and colleges
- research hospitals
- non-profit research institutes
This funding comes from two places: the Ontario government and the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
Each provides up to 40% of eligible costs.
The remaining 20% needs to come from private funding partners and/or your own research institution.
How to apply
Step 1: Notify your institution’s research office that you plan to apply.
Step 2: Your research office submits a Notice of Intent to apply to the Ontario Research Fund (except for the Small Infrastructure program).
Step 3: Gather the documents for your application package, including:
- a completed and signed application form, together with 1 photocopy and 1 electronic copy
- 1 hard copy and 1 electronic version of the application to the Canada Foundation for Innovation, together with all supporting materials provided with that application (e.g., finance module, CV, letters of support)
Step 4: Your research office submits the complete application package to the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
Application forms and guidelines
Complete your Large Infrastructure Fund – Application Form
The following Large Infrastructure Application package is a compressed ZIP file containing the Program Guidelines, Adjudication Process, Notice of Intent instructions and Application Instructions.
The following Small Infrastructure application package is a compressed ZIP file containing the required documents. Download the application package and unzip the contents to get started.
Small Infrastructure applications need to be timed to your CFI John R. Evans Leaders Fund application and submitted by March 14, 2014.
The Large Infrastructure Notice of Intent deadline is February 28, 2014. The Large Infrastructure Application Deadline is August 1, 2014.
There are currently no upcoming competitions for the College-Industry Innovation program.
The ministry reviews both the Ontario Research Fund and corresponding Canada Foundation for Innovation application and looks for the:
- quality of the research and the researchers
- need for the infrastructure
- ability to attract highly qualified personnel and give them new high-level skills
- potential benefits to Ontario (economy, health, environment, quality of life, public policy, visibility in the global scientific community)
Information about projects supported through the Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure program can be found on the Ontario Open data website.
Notices of intent received
The following link will take you to a document containing the project overview of the 2015 Ontario Research Fund – Large Infrastructure Fund Notices of Intent submitted to the Ministry: 2015 LIF Notice of Intent Project Overviews.
For more information, please contact ORFInfrastructure.Mailbox@ontario.ca