Ontario Research Fund: Research Infrastructure
How to apply for funding to help cover the costs of research infrastructure (e.g., renovating facilities, purchasing equipment, etc.).
Recommended for you
How it works
The Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure provides research institutions with funding to help support infrastructure needs, such as modern facilities and equipment.
Both the Ontario government and the Canada Foundation for Innovation provide funding.
You need to apply to both programs at the same time.
The Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure is divided into three funds:
- helps cover the costs of building/renovating and equipping facilities to conduct collaborative academic research
- co-funds with the Innovation Fund
- helps cover the costs of acquiring/renewing research equipment (e.g., specimens, scientific collections, computer software, information databases)
- co-funds with the John R. Evans Leaders Fund
- helps cover the costs of building, renovating and equipping research facilities to promote college-industry partnerships
- co-funds with Canada Foundation for Innovation’s College-Industry Innovation Fund
- participation from private-sector partners is essential
Who is eligible
Eligible institutions include:
- universities and colleges
- research hospitals
- non-profit research institutes
This funding comes from two places: the Ontario government and the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
Each provides up to 40% of eligible costs.
The remaining 20% needs to come from private funding partners and/or your own research institution.
How to apply
Step 1: Notify your institution’s research office that you plan to apply.
Step 2: Your research office submits a Notice of Intent to apply to the Ontario Research Fund (except for the Small Infrastructure program).
Step 3: Prepare the documents for your application package according to program guidelines and application instructions.
Step 4: Your research office submits the complete application package to the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
Application forms and guidelines
The application package for the Small Infrastructure Fund will be posted soon.
Large Infrastructure Fund deadlines
- No upcoming competitions
Small Infrastructure Fund deadlines
Submit your applications by:
- June 12, 2015; or
- November 13, 2015; or
- March 11, 2016
College-Industry Innovation Fund deadlines
The deadline to submit your application was May 29, 2015.
The ministry reviews both the Ontario Research Fund and corresponding Canada Foundation for Innovation application and looks for the:
- quality of the research and the researchers
- need for the infrastructure
- ability to attract highly qualified personnel and give them new high-level skills
- potential benefits to Ontario (economy, health, environment, quality of life, public policy, visibility in the global scientific community)
Information about projects supported through the Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure program can be found on the Ontario Open data website.
For more information, please contact ORFInfrastructure.Mailbox@ontario.ca