Make a child care complaint

How to report a concern or complaint about a child care provider in Ontario.

Talk to your caregiver

If you have concerns about your child's care, your first step is to talk to the staff or your caregiver. You should:

  • schedule a time with your caregiver to talk about your concerns (that way, both you and the staff or caregiver will be ready to talk)
  • be prepared and make notes ahead of time about your concerns
  • be clear about what's being said (if you need clarification or have concerns about your caregiver's response, ask him or her to explain it further)
  • arrange a follow-up meeting (if necessary)

Make a complaint (licensed care)

To report a complaint about a licensed child care centre or private-home day care agency, please contact us:

Telephone:    1-877-510-5333

Make a complaint (unlicensed care)

To report a complaint about unlicensed child care, please contact us:

Telephone:    1-844-516-6263

What information to include

When making a complaint, please give as much as information as you can. This will make it easier for the Ministry of Education to look into your complaint.

Please include:

  • name of the child care centre or private-home day care agency
  • address of the child care centre, or location where licensed private-home day care is being provided
  • a description of your concern

Your privacy

In addition, if we have your personal information (e.g., name, address, telephone number and/or email), ministry staff can contact you for more information if needed and follow up with you after the complaint has been investigated.

Personal information provided in connection with a complaint is collected under the authority of the Day Nurseries Act.

You are not required to provide personal information when you make a complaint. If you do, the Ministry will not disclose it to the child care program during the follow-up process. However, the program may be able to identify you based on the nature of the complaint.

There are some situations where the Ministry may disclose your information. For example, the Ministry may decide to disclose your personal information to other organizations, such as police or public health, to allow them to investigate the complaint. In addition, the Ministry is required to disclose information to children's aid societies to allow them to investigate if there are reasonable grounds to suspect that a child is in need of protection. The Ministry may also be required to disclose your information if the investigation of your complaint results in a hearing or prosecution involving the child care program.

If you do not consent to the collection of your personal information, please do not include any personal information when making a complaint.

If you have any questions about the collection of your personal information, you can contact the Manager, Program, Policy and Operations Unit at 416-325-5832 or by mail at 77 Wellesley Street West, Box 980, Toronto ON M7A 1N3.

Updated: April 21, 2015