How do I transfer ownership of a vehicle from a family member?
You can transfer ownership without paying the retail sales tax when receiving a vehicle from a:
- parent or step-parent
- grandparent or step-grandparent
- son or step-son
- daughter or step-daughter
- grandson or step-grandson
- granddaughter or step-granddaughter
- half siblings (siblings with a common parent)
- adopted siblings (siblings with a common parent through adoption), or
- siblings-in-law (siblings of a spouse or spouse of a sibling)
You will need to bring the following documents to a ServiceOntario centre:
- a completed sworn statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form
- proof of Ontario insurance
- your Ontario driver's licence
- Safety Standards Certificate (not required for spouse to spouse transfers)
- emissions test (if applicable)
- vehicle ownership permit with the completed portion on the back, and
- a completed plate transfer declaration if you are also transferring the licence plate (this is required on spouse to spouse transfers in order to exempt them from the Safety Standards Certificate and the Drive Clean emissions test requirements)
You can transfer only 1 vehicle every 12 months without paying retail sales tax.
Visit a ServiceOntario centre.