How do I transfer ownership of a vehicle from a family member?
You can transfer ownership without paying the retail sales tax when receiving a vehicle from a:
- parent or step-parent
- grandparent or step-grandparent
- son or step-son
- daughter or step-daughter
- grandson or step-grandson
- granddaughter or step-granddaughter
- half siblings (siblings with a common parent)
- adopted siblings (siblings with a common parent through adoption), or
- siblings-in-law (siblings of a spouse or spouse of a sibling)
You will need to bring the following documents to a ServiceOntario centre:
- a completed sworn statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form
- proof of Ontario insurance
- your Ontario driver's licence
- Safety Standards Certificate (not required for spouse to spouse transfers)
- emissions test (if applicable)
- vehicle ownership permit with the completed portion on the back, and
- a completed plate transfer declaration (if you are also transferring a licence plate)
You can transfer only 1 vehicle every 12 months without paying retail sales tax.
Visit a ServiceOntario centre.