Aboriginal institutes

Are you an Aboriginal student? Find out more about resources and opportunities for study in Ontario.

Find an aboriginal institute

Aboriginal institutes partner with colleges and universities to offer:

  • degree programs
  • apprenticeship programs
  • certificate programs
  • diplomas

Some schools also provide:

  • high school programs
  • continuing education courses
  • literacy and basic skills training
  • native language education programs


Anishinabek Education Institute Anishinabek Education Institute
FNTI (First Nations Technical Institute) First Nations Technical Institute (FNTI)
Kenjgewin Teg Educational Institute Kenjgewin Teg Educational Institute
Iohahi:io Akwesasne Adult Education Centre Iohahi:io Akwesasne Adult Education Centre
Oshki Pimache-O-Win Education and Training Institute Oshki-Pimache-O-Win Education & Training Institute
Ogwehoweh Skills and Trades Training Centre Ogwehoweh Skills and Trades Training Centre
Seven Generations Education Institute Seven Generations Education Institute
Shingwauk Kinoomaage Gamig Shingwauk Kinoomaage Gamig
Six Nations Polytechnic Six Nations Polytechnic

College and universities

You might decide to go to a publicly funded college or university in Ontario. Many schools offer:

  • specific services tailored to Aboriginal students
  • Aboriginal student associations
  • Aboriginal or Indigenous studies programs open to all learners

Financial aid

If you are eligible for money from your band for postsecondary education: apply for that funding first.

If your band funding doesn’t cover all of your costs, you can apply for OSAP. When you apply, OSAP will take into account any band funding you receive.

Other funding programs

Aboriginal Bursaries website

A searchable list of bursaries, scholarships and incentives for Aboriginal students.

Postsecondary Student Support Program

Federal government funding for Status Indian and Inuit students enrolled in eligible postsecondary programs.

Metis Student Bursary Program

Funding for Métis students enrolled in postsecondary education. Apply for this funding through the financial aid office, Aboriginal student liaison centre or student support services at your college or university.

Updated: October 9, 2014