OSAP benefits for Pan Am/Parapan Am Games volunteers
Information on the OSAP benefits available to students if they volunteer for the Toronto 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games.
How it works
Some OSAP requirements have changed to support college and university students who volunteer for the Pan Am/Parapan Am Games.
Two benefits available to volunteers are:
- a waiver that reduces your 2015-16 pre-study period contribution to zero, or
- a longer grace period before you need to repay your OSAP loan if you complete your studies on or after March 1, 2015 and are not returning to studies in 2015-16.
To be eligible for one of the benefits, volunteers must work:
- all assigned shifts during the Pan Am Games (between July 10 and 26, 2015), and/or
- all assigned shifts during the Parapan Am Games (between August 7 and 15, 2015).
Volunteers will be assigned an average of 12 shifts during the Pan Am Games and/or 6 shifts during the Parapan Am Games. The actual number of assigned shifts may vary based on location.
Shifts can range from 8-10 hours. Volunteers performing in the opening and closing ceremonies are also eligible for the benefits.
Waiver of pre-study contribution
If you complete your volunteer assignments at the Games, your 2015-16 expected pre-study contribution will be reduced to zero. Your summer earnings will not be factored into your OSAP financial need assessment.
To be eligible to receive this benefit, you must:
- be a full-time student at a postsecondary school approved for OSAP
- be enrolled full-time in studies anytime between August 1, 2015 and July 31, 2016
- complete your volunteer assignments for the 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games
1-year grace period
You are not required to make payments on your OSAP loans for the first 6 months after you complete your full-time postsecondary studies. After this grace period, you need to repay the loan.
You can apply to extend this grace period for another 6 months if you:
- finish full-time postsecondary studies on or after March 1, 2015, and
- are not returning to postsecondary studies in the 2015-16 academic year, and
- complete your volunteer assignments for the Pan Am/Parapan Am Games
During this grace period extension, Ontario will pay the interest on both your Ontario and Canada Student Loans. This means that you don’t need to make any payments on your full-time OSAP loan for 1 year after leaving postsecondary studies.
This benefit does not apply to government student loans issued through other provinces/territories.
How to apply
Indicate on your Pan Am/Parapan Am Games volunteer application if you would like to be considered for either of the above benefits. You’ll be asked to provide additional personal information as part of the application process so you can be considered for one of these benefits.
Looking for more information on how to be a part of the TORONTO 2015 volunteer program?
Go to the TORONTO 2015 website for more information.
If you have any questions about these benefits, you can contact your postsecondary school’s financial aid office.