Certificate to handle refrigerants

Get, renew or replace an Ozone Depletion Prevention certificate to purchase and handle refrigerants in refrigerators and air conditioning units.

The law

By law, the removal, discharge, handling and disposal of refrigerants that contain ozone depleting substances and other hydrocarbons such as CFCs, HCFCs or HFCs must be performed by a certified technician.

Source law

You can find a complete set of provincial rules related to this activity in:

Certificate card

To purchase and handle refrigerants in Ontario, you need an Ozone Depletion Prevention (ODP) certificate card.

To get a card you need to:

  • complete a 1-day course
  • receive a mark of 75%+
  • pay the fee

Once you've completed training, your certification card will be issued to you by the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change.

The card is valid for 5 years from the date of issue.

Training courses

You must complete a government-approved environmental awareness training course in order to purchase and handle refrigerants in Ontario.

The course takes 1 day to complete.

Approved training courses are offered by:

To apply:

  • contact HRAI or one of the approved colleges for information about:
  • the course
  • registration form
  • required fees
  • fill out the registration form
  • pay the fee

If you are a member of Local Union 787, contact the Joint Training and Apprenticeship Committee about training.

Download: training registration form (PDF)


HRAI charges a course fee of $200+ tax. Fees may vary for courses offered at partner colleges across Ontario.

The course fee includes:

  • training (manual, instruction and testing)
  • administrative costs of issuing the certificate
  • Ozone Depletion Prevention (ODP) certificate card

Renew a certificate card

To renew your card, you need to:

Please renew your card before it expires. If you allow your card to expire, you must take the training course again to be re-certified.

Replace a lost certificate card

To replace a lost card, contact HRAI.

There is no cost associated with replacing a lost card provided that the lost card is not expired.

Out-of-province certification

If you've been certified in a Canadian province or territory outside of Ontario, you need to:

  • apply for an Ontario Ozone Depletion Prevention certification card
  • pay the $50 fee + taxes

You do not need to complete a training course.

Proof of certification includes either:

  • a certificate from the institution at which you were trained in Canada
  • confirmation in writing from an out-of-province regulatory authority

Records of use

If you hold an Ozone Depletion Prevention certificate, you must:

  • keep records of use (records of your activities) for at least 2 years
  • provide them to the Ontario government, if requested

A record of use must contain:

Refrigerants used

  • all amounts and types of refrigerant purchased or obtained to service or test equipment
  • name of the seller or supplier of the refrigerant
  • amount of any discharge of a refrigerant and an explanation for the discharge (whether or not it occurs in the course of servicing or testing equipment)

Names and dates

  • date of the servicing or testing
  • your name if you're doing the servicing or testing
  • your employer’s name if the service and testing is done as part of your employment

Description of activities

  • a description of the servicing or testing
  • the amount and type or types of refrigerant used in the servicing or testing, if any
  • the type or types of refrigerant recaptured in the course of the servicing or testing, if any
  • estimate of the amount of refrigerant recaptured in the course of the servicing or testing, if any

You need to include your employer's name on:

  • service and testing records
  • leak test notices
  • empty notices for refrigeration equipment
Updated: July 30, 2014