Conservation Land Tax Incentive Program
How to get property tax relief if you are a landowner and agree to protect ‘provincially important’ natural heritage features on your property.
How it works
Under the Conservation Land Tax Incentive Program (CLTIP), you could qualify for a 100% property tax exemption for land that has important natural heritage features.
The area needs to be:
- evaluated and identified by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) as being a ‘provincially important’ eligible feature
- 1/5 of a hectare (1/2 acre) or larger in size
You also need to:
- commit to protecting the designated portion of your property
- allow MNRF staff to inspect it if requested
What is eligible
Eligible types of land are:
- provincially significant wetlands
- provincially significant areas of natural and scientific interest (lands with significant geological and biological features)
- Niagara Escarpment escarpment natural area (lands in a natural state and associated stream valleys, wetlands and forests that are relatively undisturbed)
- habitats of endangered species, where specific guidelines for the CLTIP have been developed
- Community Conservation Lands (restricted to non-profit charitable conservation organizations and conservation authorities)
Buildings or other improvements and associated land are not eligible for property tax relief.
How to apply
Step 1: If you own eligible land, MNRF will send you an application.
Step 2: If you want to take part in the program, complete the form and mail it post-marked no later than July 31 to be eligible for the following tax year. You must complete and return an application every year. Due to volume, you will not be notified when your application is received. If, for some reason, you do not get an application form, call the CLTIP InfoLine at 1-800-268-8959 before July 31 and ask for an application form.
Step 3: Check the status of your application between:
- June 1 and October 31 by using our Application Status Query
- November 1 and May 31 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling the CLTIP infoLine 1-800-268-8959.
You need to have your property assessment roll number and PIN provided on your application form. Please allow at least 2 weeks for processing.
Step 4: You receive a tax reduction on your annual municipal property tax invoice for the eligible property.
If you think you qualify for the program but have never received an application, contact us:
Have your 15-digit property assessment roll number ready or include it in your e-mail. This is the roll number found on your Property Assessment Notice, provided to you by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). (Note: this is not the roll number as shown on your Tax Notice, which excludes the initial 4-digit County-Municipality code.)
July 31 to participate for the following year.
How to stay qualified
To continue to get the tax exemption, you need to:
- follow program policy for your ‘provincially important’ land
- allow people authorized by MNRF to inspect it if requested
- apply every year