Residents of Ontario who are eligible for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage will need an Ontario health card to access coverage for health care services paid for by the Ontario Health Insurance Program.
To renew your health card you will need:
- your health card
- your renewal reminder - this reminder is sent to you by mail 2 to 3 months before your health card expires
- proof of your Canadian citizenship, Ontario residency and personal identity - check the Ontario Health Coverage Document List (form 9998E-82) for acceptable documents
- the Health Card Renewal Form that is printed on the back of your renewal reminder - if you have lost your renewal reminder, you can print another copy of the form
- your marriage certificate, if you are applying under your married name
You can book an appointment at some ServiceOntario centres.
Recommended for you
Renewing your Ontario health card is free.
An updated health card will be delivered within 4 to 6 weeks by mail.
If you are under the age of 15 1/2 or over the age of 80, you may be able to mail-in for a health card renewal and not have to visit a ServiceOntario centre. Your renewal reminder will let you know the options available to you.
What you need to know
If you are eligible for Ontario Health Insurance Plan coverage, you can apply for your first health card at a ServiceOntario centre. Bring a completed Registration for Ontario Health Coverage form (form 0265-82) and the necessary original documents Ontario Health Coverage Document List (form 9998E-82).
Child and senior renewals
If you are older than 15½ years of age, you will need to register for and replace your own Ontario health card. If you need to renew or replace your health card visit a ServiceOntario centre with 3 original documents from the Ontario Health Coverage Document List (form 9998E-82)
- one to prove citizenship/immigration status
- one to prove residency in Ontario
- one to prove identity
If your child is under the age of 15½ or you are over the age of 80, you may be able to mail-in your health card renewal. Your renewal reminder will let you know the options available to you.
- replace a lost/stolen/damaged health card
- change the address on my health card
- change the name on my health card
- convert my red and white health card to a photo health card
To switch from a red and white health card to a photo health card, visit a ServiceOntario centre with the following:
- a completed health card re-registration form
- three original documents (Ontario Health Coverage Document List) (form 9998E-82); one to prove citizenship or immigration status, one to prove residency in Ontario, and one to prove identity
You can book an appointment to convert your health card at some ServiceOntario centres.
Changing your name?
If you have recently changed your name you will need to update your health card at a ServiceOntario centre.
If you have moved recently, you will need to change your address on your health card.