Nipissing University Act, 2001 - Chap. Pr20 (Bill Pr25)
assented to under Nipissing University Act, 2001 - Chap. Pr20 (Bill Pr25)Skip to content
An Act respecting
Assented to December 14, 2001
The board of governors of Nipissing University has applied for special legislation to permit Nipissing University to grant any and all degrees, honorary degrees and diplomas in all branches of learning and to clarify the rules respecting the terms of office for members of the board of governors and senate. The applicant represents that Nipissing University was incorporated by special legislation in 1992, under which it has the power to grant only baccalaureate degrees, honorary degrees and the Masters of Education Degree.
It is appropriate to grant the application.
Therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Section 6 of the Nipissing University Act, 1992 is repealed and the following substituted:
Power to grant degrees
6. The University has the power and authority to grant any and all degrees, honorary degrees and diplomas in all branches of learning.
2. Section 9 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Term of office
9. (1) The term of office for each member of the board shall be three years.
(2) A member of the board, other than a member described in paragraph 1 or 2 of subsection 8 (1), shall not serve for more than six consecutive years but shall be eligible again for appointment or election to the board after one year’s absence from the board.
(3) Service on the board for the remainder of a vacating member’s term of office pursuant to section 13, whether that service was before or after the Nipissing University Act, 2001 receives Royal Assent, shall not be included in the calculation of six consecutive years under subsection (2).
3. Section 19 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Term of office
19. The term of office for each member of the senate appointed or elected under subsection 18 (3) shall be three years.
4. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
5. The short title of this Act is the Nipissing University Act, 2001.