Early Researcher Awards
How to get government funding to build a research team.
How it works
The Early Researcher Awards program gives funding to new researchers working at publicly funded Ontario research institutions to build a research team.
View the program guidelines for more information.
Who is eligible
You are eligible if you:
- are a full-time faculty member or principal investigator at an eligible research institution
- started your academic research career no more than 5 years ago (as of July 1, 2015)
- completed your first PhD, DVM or MD no more than 10 years ago (as of July 1, 2015)
- have not already held an Early Researcher Award
- are not a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair
Eligible institutions include:
- research hospitals
- research institutes
Each award to a leading researcher is a maximum of $100,000 and must be matched by an additional $50,000 from the researcher’s institution and/or partner organization.
The government will provide up to $40,000 to your research centre for indirect costs.
How to apply
The application process involves 4 steps:
Step 1: Notify your research office that you plan to apply.
Step 2: Your research office submits a Notice of Intent to apply (this document that lets the government know you plan to apply for an award) by Friday, June 26, 2015.
Step 3: Gather the documents for your application package, including:
- a signed letter from your research office confirming it will provide matching funding
- application form (including budget)
- see the program guidelines for discipline and area codes for the application form
- three original, letters of reference signed
Step 4: Your research office submits the complete application package to the ministry by Monday, August 24, 2015.
The review panel scores applicants on:
- excellence of the researcher
- quality of the proposal
- development of research talent
- benefits for Ontario (e.g. cultural, economic, etc.)
Unsuccessful applicants will get a copy of the review panel’s comments.
Information about projects supported through the Early Researcher Awards can be found on the Ontario Open data website.
If you have questions, please contact:
Email Caitlyn Tindale
Email Alison Hughes