Fun food facts
- Crazy for carrots? You can buy Ontario carrots all year round. Carrots are mainly grown in the Bradford area north of Toronto. Farmers produced more than 398 million pounds in 2018 – that’s more than the weight of the concrete in the CN Tower. Wacky!
- Not just for rabbits, carrots have vitamin A to help you see better at night. Keep the good stuff (nutrients) just below the carrot’s surface by rinsing and scrubbing with a vegetable brush rather than peeling the skin. Cool carrots!
Carrots are a root vegetable, meaning they grow underground. Most carrots are orange, but what other colours can they be?
Answer: Purple, red, white and yellow.
Eat it up!
Bunny's best soup
Warm up to this calming carrot soup. It also tastes great cold!
Makes 6 servings.
Takes 45 minutes.
You'll need an adult's help.
- 2 lbs (1 kg) Ontario carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 Ontario onion, chopped
- 1 Ontario celery stalk, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups (1 L) water or chicken stock
- 1 can (385 mL) 2% evaporated milk
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
What to do:
- In a large saucepan, bring carrots, onion, celery, bay leaf and water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender. Throw away bay leaf.
- In batches, purée mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in evaporated milk, pepper and nutmeg until well blended.