Fun food facts
- Eggs make you smart! Okay, well, maybe that’s a bit of an “EGG-zaggeration,” but this is not: Eating a high-protein breakfast that includes eggs can improve performance in school by increasing concentration levels.
- Betcha didn’t know it only takes four to seven days for eggs to travel from a farm in Ontario to your fork. Quiz your parents to see if they know just how farm-fresh their eggs are!
What gives some hard-cooked eggs that unique smell?
- forgetting about them in your lunch box over a long weekend
- it comes from the naturally occurring sulphur compounds
- it comes from hens that love to eat lots and lots of beans
Try this EGG-cellent experiment: Put a hard-cooked egg into a glass of water. Watch the egg sink to the bottom. Now add 125 mL (1/2 cup) of salt and stir.
Presto-magico – the egg will float. Why? That’s for you to figure out, smarty-pants! Here’s a clue: It has something to do with a thing called density.
Wait! Don’t throw out that perfectly fine egg. Eat it! Fork-mash it with some mayonnaise and spread it over whole-grain crackers. Yummy!