Use convenient frozen tart shells for speedy mini apple pies with a streusel topping.
- 4 cups (1 L) diced (1/2-inch/1 cm), peeled Ontario Apples (McIntosh, Golden Delicious, Empire or Idared)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water
- 12 frozen uncooked 3-inch (7.5 cm) tart shells
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, softened
In large saucepan or Dutch oven, place apples and cranberries. In small bowl, mix together sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg; stir into apple mixture. Stir in water. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened and apples are slightly softened. Spoon into tart shells on baking sheet.
Streusel: In small bowl, mix together flour, sugar and butter until crumbly; spoon about 1 tsp (5 mL) over top of each tart. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned and filling is bubbly.
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: 7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 25 grams
- Calories: 172