Bite into a wonderful crunchy almond filling that contrasts with soft juicy peaches. Leaving the soft velvety skin on provides fibre and gives a rosy blush to the dish.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) coarsely chopped unblanched almonds
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) almond extract
- 4 large ripe but firm Ontario Peaches
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Ontario White Wine
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 oz (15 g) semisweet chocolate (optional)
Garnish: Ontario Dark Sweet Cherries, with stems (optional)
In small bowl, mix together wafer crumbs, butter, almonds and almond extract. Cut peaches in half lengthwise; remove pit and place cut side up on cutting board. Mound almond filling in hollow of each.
Pour wine into 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish; stir in sugar. Place filled peach halves in pan, filling side up; bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 20 minutes or until peaches are softened. Let cool slightly. Serve 2 peach halves in each dish or bowl; spoon wine glaze over top. If desired, grate chocolate over top. Garnish with cherries. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Variation: Substitute finely crushed amaretti cookies (about 75 g) for vanilla wafer crumbs and omit the almond extract. Amaretti cookies are an Italian almond-flavoured hard cookie available in some grocery stores and Italian stores.
- PROTEIN: 3 grams
- FAT: 17 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 23 grams
- CALORIES: 254
- SOURCE OF FIBRE