Steaming the carrots and sweet peppers maintains their colour and crunch in this Mexican-inspired vegetarian meal. Local Queso Fresco, a “fresh cheese” with a slightly salty taste and creamy texture is a tasty addition to this bowl.
- 1 cup (250 mL) long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lime zest
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) julienned Ontario Carrots
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Yellow Pepper, sliced
- 1 can (540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Greenhouse Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber
- 1 head Ontario Greenhouse Leaf, torn
- 1 cup (250 mL) croutons
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled Ontario Queso Fresco or Feta Cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) toasted pumpkin seeds
Cook rice according to package directions.
In small bowl, whisk together oil, lime zest, lime juice, honey, cumin and garlic, set aside.
Place carrots in steamer basket over saucepan of simmering water, cover and steam for 4 minutes. Push to one side; add peppers to other side. Cover and steam for 3 minutes or until tender, set aside.
Divide rice, carrots, peppers, beans, tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce and croutons among 4 bowls. Top with cheese and pumpkin seeds; drizzle with dressing.
- PROTEIN: 19 grams
- FAT: 21 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 81 grams
- CALORIES: 591
- FIBRE: 11 grams
- SODIUM: 330 mg