Who can resist a grilled cheese sandwich with smoked Cheddar and bacon, and topped with thick slices of sweet Ontario berries?
Grilling Time: 10 minutes
half sandwiches: 4
- 4 slices multi-grain bread
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Ontario Smoked Cheddar or Old Cheddar (about 4 oz/125 g)
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 cup (250 mL) thickly sliced Ontario Strawberries
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic glaze
- Freshly ground black peppers
Brush one side of each slice of bread with oil; place oiled side down on work surface. Sprinkle 2 of the bread slices with 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the cheese each; top with bacon, strawberries, balsamic glaze, pepper to taste and remaining cheese. Top with remaining slices of bread, oiled side up.
Place on grill over medium heat; close lid and grill for 3 minutes per side or until toasted. Cut in half.
Tips: Use an oval loaf of multi-grain bread with slices that are just under 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick and about 7-inches (18 cm) long.
Grill indoors on a grill pan, over medium heat.
Instead of bacon, use 4 slices of cooked Ontario Peameal Bacon.
1 Serving (half a sandwich):
- Protein: 13 grams
- Fat: 16 grams
- Carbohydrate: 25 grams
- Calories: 305
- Fibre: 3 grams
- Sodium: 430 mg