This salad is packed with fresh ingredients, chewy farro and beans. Leftovers pack well for lunch. Look for farro in the bulk section at your supermarket. If you like, substitute pearl barley for the farro.
Standing Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) semi-pearled farro
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced Ontario Carrots
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) crumbled Ontario Feta Cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped Ontario Shallot
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley Leaves
Bring large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add farro and return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until tender but somewhat chewy, adding carrots in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper, gradually whisking in oil until blended. Drain farro mixture and add to bowl; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. Stir in beans, cheese, shallot and parsley; toss to combine. Enjoy immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tip: Farro is available whole grain, semi-pearled and pre-cooked and can take 10 to 30 minutes to cook. Semi-pearled faro has had some of its tough outer bran removed.
- PROTEIN: 15 grams
- FAT: 18 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 55 grams
- CALORIES: 439
- FIBRE: 10 grams
- SODIUM: 360 mg