A healthy snack or treat that the whole family can enjoy. Chai refers to the spice mix in this recipe. The apple dip is also good with plain yogurt and as a topping for pancakes.
Servings: Serves 4
- 3 Ontario Apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) apple juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground cinnamon and ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each allspice and ground cloves
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 mL) melted butter
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 3 6-inch (15 cm) whole wheat flour tortillas
- Shredded Aged Ontario Cheddar Cheese
In large microwaveable bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, juice, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice and cloves. Microwave covered on High for 3-1/2 to 4 minutes, stirring once, until mixture comes to boil. In small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) water; stir into apple mixture. Microwave 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
Cinnamon-Tortilla Chips: In small bowl, combine butter, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Brush tortillas on both sides with butter mixture then stack on cutting board. Cut into 8 triangles (24 pieces). Arrange in single layer on baking sheet. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for about 7 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
Serve apple dip warm or at room temperature with tortilla chips and cheese.
Tip: Store Cinnamon-Tortilla Chips in air-tight containe
- PROTEIN: 0 grams
- FAT: 0 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 0 grams
- FIBRE: 0 grams
- SODIUM: 0 mg