For a flavour change this zesty rutabaga recipe really delivers. It freezes well and is a good use for leftover mashed Ontario Rutabaga.
- 1 small Ontario Rutabaga (½ lb/250 g), cubed (4 cups/1 L)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) cubed cream cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each of ground ginger and salt
- A pinch each of ground nutmeg and pepper
Cut 1 small Ontario Rutabaga (½ lb/250 g) into cubes, about 4 cups/1 L. Cook covered, in 4 cup (1 L) casserole dish in ¼ cup (50 mL) of water on High for 10 minutes or until fork tender; drain well and mash. Stir in ½ cup (125 mL) cubed cream cheese, 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar, ¼ tsp (1 mL) each of ground ginger and salt and a pinch each of ground nutmeg and pepper.
Note: Microwave recipes tested in a 700-watt microwave oven. Power level terminology in microwave ovens varies; check your owner's manual and use whichever word or number gives you the same percentages as in the recipe (High is always 100%). If your oven differs, cooking times may vary.