This elegant soup is quick and easy, while showcasing a perfect balance between Ontario parsnips and celeriac. Serve topped with crunchy croutons.
Roasting time: 25 min
- 3 cups (750 mL) each cubed (1-inch/2.5 cm) Ontario Parsnips and Celeriac (Celery Root)
- 2 Ontario Parsnips, thinly sliced with vegetable peeler
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) 35% Ontario Whipping Cream or Ontario Milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Ontario Microgreens
In medium bowl, toss cubed parsnips and celeriac, sliced parsnips, oil and salt. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden. Remove sliced crisped parsnips when golden, about 5 to 8 minutes; set aside.
In large pot, combine roasted vegetables and broth. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool slightly. Pour into blender or use hand blender in pot to purée until smooth. Return soup to pot; add cream. Heat but don’t allow to boil. Season with pepper to taste. Garnish soup with reserved sliced crisped parsnips and microgreens.
Tip: Thickness of this soup can be adjusted according to taste with the addition of broth or cream.
- PROTEIN: 4 grams
- FAT: 12 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 27 grams
- CALORIES: 226
- FIBRE: 5 grams
- SODIUM: 1060 mg