Get out the napkins. This full-meal sandwich is messy to eat, but delicious. Get everything ready to go, so once the barbecuing is finished, it’s easy to layer the sandwich. Any leftovers are delicious the next day.
- 125 g very thin Ontario Veal Scaloppini
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each dried basil and oregano leaves
- Pinch each salt and black pepper
- 1 Ontario Sweet Red Pepper, cored and cut into 4 wide strips
- 1 round sourdough or Italian loaf, about 7-inches (18 cm) across
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) black olive paste (tapenade)
- 1 Ontario Tomato, thinly sliced
- Half pkg (130 g pkg) Ontario Goat Cheese, crumbled
- 1 Ontario Nectarine, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely shredded Ontario Lettuce
If veal is not thinly sliced, pound to make it thinner. In small bowl, stir together oil, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; brush over both sides of veal and inside of pepper pieces. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat; grill veal for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Grill pepper until it begins to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Slice loaf in half to form top and bottom. Using fingers, hollow out bread, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) sides. Hollowed out bread can be ground to make crumbs. Spread inside of both halves with olive paste. Place pepper on bottom half. Layer with veal, tomato, goat cheese, nectarine then lettuce. Finish with top of bread. Squish together. Using serrated knife, cut into 4 to 6 wedges.
- PROTEIN: 11 grams
- FAT: 8 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 30 grams
- CALORIES: 233
- FIBRE: 3 grams