Chilean Pebre sauce is easy to make and adds just the right zip. The sauce is also good with grilled meats or fish.
Standing Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) minced Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) minced fresh Ontario Coriander or Parsley
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) minced Ontario Onion
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each water and white vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) smoked paprika or crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Asparagus, trimmed
In small bowl, stir together sweet red pepper, coriander, onion, 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil, water, vinegar, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of the oregano, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and garlic. Cover and let stand at least 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
In small bowl, mix remaining oil and oregano; brush on asparagus to coat well. Place asparagus in grill basket or directly on grill over medium-high heat. Close cover and grill, for 3 to 5 minutes each side, or until just tender. Place in shallow serving dish; top with sauce. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Tip: No grill? Place asparagus on rimmed baking sheet. Roast in 500°F (260°C) oven for 8 minutes or until just tender.
PROTEIN: 3 grams
FAT: 10 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 8 grams
FIBRE: 2 grams