This hearty soup is like a light version of chili and perfect for a crowd. Make it spicy by adding extra red pepper flakes and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve as a main course with crusty bread and a salad.
Servings: 6 to 8
- 500 g lean Ontario Ground Beef
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 3 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 Ontario Carrots, diced
- 1 large Ontario Onion, chopped
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario Mushrooms, quartered
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium-reduced beef broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
In large pot, over medium-heat, brown beef in 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil, breaking up with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Drain off fat; place meat in bowl.
In the same pot, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add garlic, carrots, onion and mushrooms; cook until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.
Return meat to pot along with tomatoes, beans, broth, 1 cup (250 mL) water, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, basil, salt, red pepper flakes and bay leaves; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves before serving.
1 Serving (when recipe serves 8):
- PROTEIN: 20 grams
- FAT: 9 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 23 grams
- CALORIES: 247
- FIBRE: 5 grams
- SODIUM: 895 mg