The fresh taste of tomatoes comes through in this lightened Italian classic that’s been updated by using balsamic vinegar and less oil.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) crumbled dried sage
- 3 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Ontario Field Tomatoes, cut in large chunks
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) balsamic vinegar
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, sage, garlic and water; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in beans, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat for 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- PROTEIN: 9.5 grams
- FAT: 4 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 29.5 grams
- CALORIES: 192