For a change of pace, this fragrant, flavourful stew combines Mid-Eastern spices with Ontario Winter Vegetables to give a satisfying vegetarian meal. Serve with pita bread or rice.
Cooking Time: 45 to 55 minutes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced gingerroot
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper or dired chili peppers
- 1 large Ontario Onion, cut in wedges
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) each bite-size cubes Ontario Rutabaga and thickly sliced Ontario Carrots
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) whole Ontario Button Mushrooms or halved large ones
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chick-peas, drained (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) raisins
- chopped cilantro and chopped Ontario Peanuts (optional)
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic and onion, season with ginger, cumin, coriander and pepper, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, rutabaga and carrots; bring to boil. Cook for 35 to 45 minutes or just until tender, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, peas, chick-peas (if using) and raisins; cook for 8 to10 minutes or until hot. Serve garnished with cilantro and peanuts if desired.
Add cubes of cooked Ontario lamb, pork or beef.
When recipe serves 6:
- Protein: 5.0 grams
- Fat: 5.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 42.5 grams
- Calories: 235