Tender chicken pieces are lightly seasoned and quickly poached with apples in chicken broth. Don't peel the apples, the red skin provides colour and fibre. Serve with cooked rice or couscous and sliced cucumbers and tomatoes.
- 4 skinless boneless Ontario Chicken Breasts (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 2 Ontario Apples
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) undiluted canned low-salt chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
Trim excess fat from chicken breasts. Combine cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper; spread evenly on chicken breasts. Set aside. Core and slice apples into thin wedges; toss in lemon juice. Set aside. In small bowl, combine cornstarch and 2 tsp (10 mL) cold water; set aside.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger; stir-fry until onions are slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
Add chicken breasts; brown lightly on both sides. Pour broth over chicken and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until chicken is almost cooked, about 4 minutes.
Add apples and lemon juice to chicken, cover and cook until apples are tender but not mushy and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 2 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove chicken and apples to warm plates.
Stir cornstarch mixture and stir into liquid in pan; cook over high heat until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with parsley.
To prepare couscous for 4:
Bring 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) water or chicken broth to a boil. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) instant couscous, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Protein: 36.0 grams
- Fat: 6.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 56.0 grams
- Calories: 422