Ontario Apples and Cheddar cheese have always been a perfect match. Here's a new twist, a steaming bowl of Apple Cheddar Soup, with just a hint of curry, it will surely hit the spot on a cool fall day.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 4 Ontario Apples, peeled and chopped, (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 2 Ontario Carrots, chopped
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely minced ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each of curry and dry mustard powder
- 2 cups (500 mL) each of chicken broth and apple cider
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Ontario Old Cheddar
In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add apples, carrots, onions, garlic, ginger, curry and mustard powder. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes until onion begins to soften.
Add broth and apple cider, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 15 to 20 minutes until vegetables are very tender. Using food processor or blender, puree until smooth. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup (50 mL) Cheddar cheese.