Use spring-roll wrappers if you have them or steamed flour tortillas as pancakes to encase this flavourful mixture. Serve as a fun do‑it‑yourself appetizer or snack with lots of serviettes. To make the roll‑ups a main course, add shredded cooked poultry or meat with the bean sprouts.
- 3 cups (750 mL) finely shredded Ontario Green Cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) each finely shredded Ontario Chinese (Napa) Cabbage and Bok Choy
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) each grated Ontario Carrots and sliced Ontario mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) Ontario Bean Sprouts
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each soy sauce and rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each sesame oil and cornstarch
- 12 flour tortillas (burrito size)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each vegetable oil, minced garlic and minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) hoisin sauce
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) coarsely chopped peanuts
In order, set green cabbage in container by stove, then container with Chinese cabbage, bok choy, carrots and mushrooms, then container of bean sprouts. Stir together soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil and cornstarch; set aside as sauce.
Separate tortillas and wrap loosely in tea towel; set in steamer or on rack over simmering water in wok or skillet; steam, covered, for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit until ready to serve.
In wok, heat oil over high heat. Stir‑fry garlic and ginger for 15 seconds. Stir‑fry green cabbage for 2 minutes. Add Chinese cabbage mixture; stir‑fry for 2 minutes. Add bean sprouts and toss for 30 seconds. Add sauce and cook, stirring, until thickened. Mound on warm platter.
To eat, spread warm tortilla with hoisin sauce, sprinkle with peanuts, spoon stir‑fry mixture on top; roll up end and two sides over filling and eat with hands.
- Protein: 11.5 grams
- Fat: 16.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 42.0 grams
- Calories: 363