This layered casserole can be refrigerated for up to two days.
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) Ontario Stewing Beef or Lamb
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) coarsely chopped Ontario Mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) beef broth
- 4 medium Ontario Potatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 Ontario Cooking Onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 3 cups (750 mL) thinly sliced Ontario Carrots
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, softened
Trim and cut meat into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) cubes. In shallow dish, season 2 tbsp (25 mL) flour with salt and pepper; add meat and toss to coat lightly. Set aside. In large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; cook mushrooms for 3 minutes or until tender. Transfer to bowl along with juices. Add remaining oil to skillet; brown beef in two or three batches, turning to brown all over. Transfer beef to mushrooms.
Stir remaining flour into broth; add to skillet and cook, scraping up brown bits, until thickened.
Grease bottom of a 10-cup (2.5 L) casserole dish; overlap half of the potatoes in dish. Spread with half of the onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste; sprinkle with half of the parsley. Top with meat, then mushrooms and any juices; sprinkle with half of the thyme. Cover with carrots; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining parsley and thyme.
Pour in broth mixture. Layer with remaining onions, then potatoes; brush with butter. Cover and bake in 325°F (160°C) oven for 2 hours or until tender throughout. Uncover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly golden. To make ahead, let cool for 30 minutes; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in 325°F (160°C) oven for 35 minutes.
- Protein: 26 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Carbohydrate: 30 grams
- Calories: 320
- Fibre: 4 grams