This composed salad is perfect for a light luncheon or starter at a dinner party. Substituting fruit juice for some of the oil in the dressing lowers the fat content.
Cooling Time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each apple juice and lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario Honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried tarragon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper.
- 4 Ontario Pears (slightly under ripe)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pecan halves
- 8 cups (2 L) packed Ontario Baby Spinach and Arugula or Watercress
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) crumbled Ontario Chèvre Cheese (about 4 oz/120 g)
In small bowl, whisk together apple juice, lemon juice, oil, honey, mustard, tarragon, salt and pepper. Set dressing aside.
Remove stems and slice pears into 6 wedges each, removing core. In large bowl, toss pears with oil to coat well. Place cut side down, on large baking sheet; sprinkle with lemon rind. Place pecans in small cake pan. Roast pears and pecans in 375°F (190°C) oven together for about 5 minutes or just until pears are slightly softened, and pecans are toasted. Transfer pears to cutting board to cool slightly.
Toss greens with two-thirds of the dressing and arrange on salad plates. Arrange pears and nuts in circular fashion on top; sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle pears with remaining dressing. Serve immediately.
- Protein: 9 grams
- Fat: 29 grams
- Carbohydrate: 37 grams
- Calories: 422
- Very high source of fibre