This make-ahead, tasty and easy dish packed with local goodness is ideal for breakfast or brunch served with salsa on the side. Add a greenhouse salad and dinner is ready.
Baking Time: 65 minutes; Refrigeration Time: 8 hours or up to 1 day
- 1 each Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red and Yellow Pepper, chopped
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 5 Ontario Eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dried rosemary and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Milk
- 5 cups (1.25 L) 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces day old baguette (about 8 oz/250 g)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped smoked Ontario Ham
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Ontario Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) crumbled Ontario Feta Cheese
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Ontario Greenhouse Grape Tomatoes, halved
- Finely chopped fresh Ontario Chives
Lightly spray large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Add peppers, onion and oil; toss. Spread in single layer; roast in 425°F (220°C) oven for 15 minutes until tender, stirring once.
In large bowl, whisk eggs, mustard, oregano, rosemary and black pepper until blended; whisk in milk.
In greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish, place baguette pieces; top with pepper mixture, ham and half of the mozzarella. Pour egg mixture over top. Top with remaining mozzarella, feta and tomatoes. Cover; refrigerate for 8 hours or up to 1 day.
Uncover baking dish; bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and set. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.
Tip: Substitute ham with cooked, chopped local Italian sausage.
- PROTEIN: 21 grams
- FAT: 14 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 34 grams
- CALORIES: 350
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 770 mg