This version uses egg roll or wonton wrappers and the samosas are baked rather than fried. Serve warm with mango or coriander chutney. Be sure to dice vegetables fairly small.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, finely diced
- 1 Ontario Carrot, finely diced
- 2 medium Ontario Yukon Gold Potatoes,
- about 12 oz (375 g), peeled and finely diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each of finely chopped gingerroot and curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of cayenne and black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 36 egg roll or wonton wrappers
Heat 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, potatoes and ginger; stir-fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Combine curry powder, salt, cumin, cayenne and pepper; add to skillet, stirring well and cook for 30 seconds. Add water; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender. If water is not absorbed, uncover and cook until just about evaporated. Add peas and cook a few minutes. Remove from heat; stir in coriander.
If using larger egg roll wrappers, cut in half diagonally to make 2. Place 2 to 3 tsp (10 to 15 mL) filling in centre of each wrapper (depending on size). Moisten edges of wrapper with water; fold in half to form triangle and press edges together to seal. Arrange on baking sheet and brush lightly with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
Cool and refrigerate in covered container up to 2 days ahead. Reheat on baking sheet in 350°F (160°C) oven about 5 minutes or until warm. Or microwave in single layer on paper towel on Medium (50%) until warm, not hot.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 1.0 gram
- Fat: 1.0 gram
- Carbohydrates: 5.0 grams
- Calories: 33