Fresh, top-quality Ontario greenhouse vegetables enhance the flavours of Tuscany's simple tomato bread salad. This salad's fresh taste is excellent on its own or as part of a meal.
Standing Time: 10 minutes
- 5 medium Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, cored and cut into chunks
- 5 cups (1.25 L) packed cubed (1-inch/2.5 cm) day-old crusty Italian bread (ciabatta)
- Half Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber (about 6-inches/15 cm), halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced Ontario Red Onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lightly packed fresh Ontario Basil Leaves, slivered
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
In large serving bowl, combine tomatoes, bread, cucumber, onion, basil and capers.
In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad; toss until well coated. Let stand a few minutes until bread absorbs juices.
Tip: To sliver basil, stack about 5 leaves at a time and roll tightly into cigar shape. Slice crosswise into slivers (called chiffonade in French).
- Protein: 3 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 17 grams
- Calories: 130
- Fibre: 2 grams
- Sodium: 310 mg