These spring rolls are the perfect combination of salty and sweet with a deliciously crispy and savoury bite complimented with a ginger-garlic sauce. The ideal appetizer for entertaining.
Baking Time: 8 minutes
- 250 g lean Ontario Ground Pork
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground ginger and garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Ontario Carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Bean Sprouts
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Ontario Red Cabbage
- Half pkg (454 g) phyllo pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced Ontario Chives
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario Honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
In large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, cook pork, stirring constantly to break meat up, until pork is lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tsp (5 mL) ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in carrots, bean sprouts and cabbage; cook for 2 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Remove from heat; set aside.
Gently unroll the phyllo pastry and place 1 sheet of phyllo pastry on parchment paper, brush with some of the oil. Continue with oil and phyllo until you have 5 sheets layered. Cut into 2-inch (5 cm) squares and gently press into the bottom of greased mini muffin tin, to make a cup. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 8 minutes or until cups are crisp and golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack. Repeat to make 48 cups in total.
Dipping Sauce: In small bowl whisk together garlic, soy sauce, water, honey, sesame oil and ginger.
Fill each baked phyllo cup with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the pork filling, sprinkle with chives and drizzle with some of the dipping sauce. Serve with remaining dipping sauce.
- PROTEIN: 1 gram
- FAT: 2 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 3 grams
- CALORIES: 34
- FIBRE: 0 grams
- SODIUM: 95 mg