Start this one-pot vegetarian meal on top of the stove, then finish in the oven. No need for constant stirring.
Baking Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) arborio rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced peeled Ontario Butternut Squash
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) navy or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Ontario Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
In large Dutch oven or ovenproof saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice to coat. Stir in broth, squash, thyme, salt, pepper and beans; cover and bake in 325°F (160°C) oven for 40 minutes or until rice and squash are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes or until remaining liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and parsley.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
- PROTEIN: 13 grams
- FAT: 5 grams
- CARBOHYDRATES: 40 grams
- FIBRE: 1 gram
- CALORIES: 255