Versatile Ontario strawberries show off their sweetness in these cornmeal muffins. When other Ontario berries come into season, such as blueberries and raspberries, feel free to substitute.
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each all-purpose flour and large flake oats
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) packed brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cornmeal
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and ground cinnamon
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated orange rind
- 1-1/4 cup (300 mL) chopped Ontario Strawberries
- 2 to 3 whole Ontario Strawberries, cut into 12 thin slices
Streusel: In small bowl, mix together flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Using fork, stir in butter, just until crumbly. Refrigerate while preparing muffins.
Batter: In large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In medium bowl, whisk egg, milk, butter, vanilla and orange rind. Pour over dry ingredients; stir until combined. Add chopped strawberries; stir gently until evenly mixed.
Spoon into lightly greased or paper-lined muffin cups; sprinkle with streusel. Place one strawberry slice on each muffin. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove muffins, cool on wire rack.
- PROTEIN: 4 grams
- FAT: 8 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 30 grams
- CALORIES: 210
- FIBRE: 1 gram
- SODIUM: 230 mg