The flavours of Italian cuisine are the inspiration for this simple, flavour-packed salad. Serve as a first course salad or alongside grilled Ontario pork, lamb or beef.
Grilling Time: about 2 minutes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Basil
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices Ontario Prosciutto
- 7 cups (1.75 L) torn Ontario Spinach Leaves
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced Ontario Strawberries
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) thinly sliced Ontario Red Onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shaved Ontario Asiago Cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted walnut halves, coarsely chopped
In small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, basil, garlic, mustard and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper.
Salad: Place prosciutto on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until prosciutto begins to crisp. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Break into pieces.
In salad bowl, combine spinach, strawberries and onion; toss with dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with prosciutto, Asiago cheese and walnuts.
Tip: A vegetable peeler works great for shaving the cheese.
Variation: Substitute strawberries with 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh Ontario raspberries and replace walnuts with toasted pine nuts.
- PROTEIN: 12 grams
- FAT: 24 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 14 grams
- CALORIES: 310
- FIBRE:4 grams
- SODIUM: 680 mg