This mildly spiced creamy soup adds a new dimension to your menus. It freezes well, so it can be prepared weeks before the holiday. Sweet potatoes are a large reddish tuber with a deep orange flesh that gives a rich colour and they are a good source of beta carotene.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 medium Ontario Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cumin, coriander and turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cups (1 L) cubed peeled Ontario Sweet Potatoes (about 1-1/4 lb/550 g)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped roasted peanuts
- Finely grated lime rind, fresh Ontario Coriander or Parsley
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red pepper flakes, stirring until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
Add broth, sweet potatoes and coconut milk; bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let cool slightly. Purée in batches in blender or food processor or with hand held blender until smooth. Return to saucepan. Stir in lime juice. Season to taste with salt. Serve garnished as desired.
Omit coconut milk and increase broth to 3-1/2 cups (875 mL). Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) packed brown sugar.
- Protein: 3 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrate: 28 grams
- Calories: 210
- Fibre: 3 grams
- Sodium: 280 mg