Celebrate Canadian summer with these juicy burgers topped with Cheddar cheese, smoky bacon and fresh vegetables.
Grilling Time: about 13 minutes
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 2 small cloves Ontario Garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dry mustard powder and Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 500 g ground Ontario Veal
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Ontario Aged Cheddar Cheese
- 4 whole wheat burger buns
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) light mayonnaise
- 4 Ontario Lettuce Leaves
- 1 large Ontario Tomato, sliced
- Sliced Ontario Red Onion
- 4 slices cooked Ontario Bacon, cut in half
In large bowl, with fork beat egg and water; stir in half of the pressed garlic, breadcrumbs, mustard, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Gently mix in veal and 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the cheese. Divide meat mixture into four equal-sized balls and shape into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick burgers. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat. Grill covered, turning burgers once, until thermometer reads 160°F (71°C) inserted sideways into centre of each burger, about 12 minutes. Top each with remaining cheese and grill to melt slightly.
Transfer burgers to plate; tent with foil. Toast buns on grill; cut side down. In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and remaining garlic; spread on toasted buns. Sandwich lettuce, burger, tomato, onion and bacon in buns.
Cooking Tips: To prevent burgers from puffing up during cooking, make a shallow depression in centre of each burger using two knuckles.
- PROTEIN: 38 grams
- FAT: 28 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 31 grams
- CALORIES: 520
- FIBRE: 4 grams
- SODIUM: 950 mg