This light vegetable soup is an ideal starter as it teases the appetite. Shiitakes, a popular wild mushroom grown in Ontario, add an exotic touch to this soup.
- 1 Ontario Onion, diced
- 1 small Ontario Carrot, diced
- 1 small, Ontario Rutabaga, peeled and diced or 4 Ontario Parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced Ontario Shiitake Mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
In saucepan, combine onion, carrot, rutabaga, ginger and 3-1/2 cups (750 mL) broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 min. or until vegetables are tender. Add mushrooms; simmer 5 min. If necessary, add remaining broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Protein: 8 grams
- Fat: 1 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19 grams
- Calories: 117