Travel expense rules and claims

The rules for claiming and reimbursing work-related travel, meal and hospitality expenses.


Government employees and elected officials can claim — and be reimbursed for — necessary travel, meal and hospitality expenses they pay for, during the course of ordinary work.

They need to follow strict rules, outlining what can be repaid with public funds and what maximum amounts can be claimed.

All claims must include original receipts.

Expense rules are in place for the following groups:

  • anyone working in a government ministry
  • consultants and contractors to government
  • certain elected officials and their staff (e.g. Cabinet Ministers, Leaders of Opposition and political staff who work for those elected officials)
  • employees at certain government (‘classified’) agencies (e.g. LCBO, Metrolinx)
  • employees at certain publicly-funded organizations in the broader public sector (e.g. colleges and universities, school boards, hospitals)
  • Hydro organizations (e.g. Hydro One, Ontario Power Authority)

The specific rules governing expenses depend on the group an individual belongs to.

Rules, laws and directives on expenses

For government employees, consultants and contractors to government, classified agencies, and the hydro organizations:

  • The Travel, Meal and Hospitality Expense Directive

For certain organizations in the broader public sector (e.g. colleges and universities, school boards, hospitals):

  • Broader Public Sector Expenses Directive
  • Broader Public Sector Perquisites (Perks) Directive

For Cabinet Ministers, Leaders of Opposition, Parliamentary Assistants and their staff:

View travel expense information

Search government expense information

You can view the expense information of individuals at the following 17 designated agencies, and 4 hydro organizations subject to the Travel, Meals and Hospitality Directive, on their respective websites.

Classified agencies

Hydro Organizations

Updated: April 29, 2015