Flood Forecasting and Warning Program
Information about the Flood Forecasting and Warning Program, which prepares provincial and local authorities in the event of a flood.
Current flood information
Flood information updated as of: June 18, 2018 - 10:00 am
Ontario flood map
Locally issued flood messages
Issued by MNRF Districts and Conservation Authorities
River Regulatory Agencies
Issued to Local Authorities by the Surface Water Monitoring Centre
MNRF Southern Region
Stream flow conditions across the southern region are within the seasonal range. Forecast precipitation for the region ranges from 10 to 30 mm over the next five days with the added risk of additional rain due to thunderstorms.
MNRF Northeastern Region
Stream flow conditions across the Northeastern Region are within the seasonal range. Forecast precipitation for the region ranges from 5 to 10 mm over the next five days.
MNRF Northwestern Region
Stream flow conditions across the Northwestern Region are within the seasonal range. Forecast precipitation for the region ranges from 5 to 10 mm over the next five days.
Flood Message Definitions
Provincial flood messages
There are 2 types of provincial flood messages:
- the Provincial Flood Watch, which provides consistent and timely technical information about the potential for flooding
- the Provincial Watershed Conditions Statement, which provides information on provincial watershed conditions as they relate to flood potential, and an outlook on expected spring flood conditions
Local flood messages
There are 3 types of local flood messages:
- flood warning: flooding is imminent or already occurring
- flood watch: there is the potential for flooding
- watershed conditions statements: flood Outlook (an early notice of the potential for flooding based on heavy rain, snow melt etc.) and water safety information.
Who to contact for flood information
Your local Conservation Authority is responsible for local flood messaging.
Your local municipality is responsible for on-the-ground flood response.
If you live in a community that is not serviced by a conservation authority, any flood watches or flood warnings in your area are issued by the nearest Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry district office.