R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 595: GARAGE LICENCESSkip to content
Highway Traffic Act
R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 595
Consolidation Period: From September 1, 2006 to the e-Laws currency date.
Legislative History: CTR 16 MR 17 - 1.,
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. (1) The following fees shall be paid to the Ministry:
1. For a licence to deal in motor vehicles or trailers and operate a used car lot, for each separate premises, $25.00.
2. For a licence to buy and wreck motor vehicles, for each separate premises, $25.00.
3. For the replacement of a licence in the case of loss or destruction of original, $5.00. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 595, s. 1 (1).
(2) Where a licence referred to in paragraph 1 or 2 of subsection (1) is for a business commenced on or after the 1st day of September in a year, one half of the fee shall be paid for the licence for that year. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 595, s. 1 (2).
(3) A licence remains in force only during the calendar year in which it is issued. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 595, s. 1 (3).
(4) Where the ownership of premises in respect of which a licence under this Regulation has been issued is transferred, the licence shall be returned to the Ministry by the vendor and the new owner shall make application for a new licence. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 595, s. 1 (4).
(5) The Ministry may require that the applicant for a garage licence provide proof that the proposed operation will not be in contravention of any by-law of the municipality in which it will be located. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 595, s. 1 (5).
2. The records prescribed in subsection 60 (1) of the Act shall be kept on the business premises of the person required to keep the records, in the book supplied by the Ministry for that purpose, for a period of two years. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 595, s. 2.
3. Every person who engages in the business of wrecking or dismantling vehicles shall forthwith, when the person wrecks or dismantles a motor vehicle or trailer,
(a) clearly mark the permit for the motor vehicle or trailer “WRECKED”;
(b) sign the permit;
(c) print the number of the person’s licence on the permit if the person is licensed under the Act to buy and wreck motor vehicles; and
(d) send the permit and the number plates for the vehicle to the Ministry. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 595, s. 3.
4. Every person who engages in the business of operating a garage, repair shop, or used car lot or the business of wrecking or dismantling motor vehicles shall maintain for a period of two years a record of every motor vehicle in which the person installs an engine or cylinder block and the record shall include the serial number of the engine or cylinder block removed from and the serial number of the engine or cylinder block installed in the vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 595, s. 4.