Digital First co-op
Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received 68 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
Ontario Digital Service
The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) is a hub of technologists, designers and digital government experts who deliver user-centred products and digital policies using agile processes and data-driven methods. We collaborate with ministry partners to deliver services that make interacting with the government simpler and easier for people and businesses. We are responsible for leading the digital and data transformation of our province's public sector — a transformation that has become even more important since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. We tackle complex public problems, from digital identity to responsible use of AI technology, by building a people-centred approach to the design and delivery of government services, programs and policy.
The Digital First team within the Privacy, Archives, Digital and Data division is tackling complex public problems with digital approaches. We are building a people-centred perspective to the design and delivery of government services, programs and policy. Our team is at the heart of leading change initiatives that are creating a simpler, faster, better Ontario Public Service (OPS).
Our Digital First team includes:
- Digital First Assessments
- Digital Maturity
We are relentless about diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging, and apply that lens to every piece of our work. We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
As a Digital First Co-op, you will be directly involved in developing new, forward-looking training resources, assisting teams building digital products and services, and participating in research and analysis.
On any given day you may:
- develop training to support the enterprise in developing a digital first/ citizen first culture
- conduct research on best practices and partnerships
- help people across government think about service delivery in a digital and data-driven age
- conduct research on digital standards across Canada to inform improvements to Ontario's Digital Service Standard
- support in building a Digital Maturity model for the government
Our co-op students are collaborative, people centered, creative, and empathetic. They have a growth mindset and are brave and willing to try new things.
You will help ensure that the work we do to deliver services for Ontarians is done using evidence, data and a relentless focus on the needs of users. You will support public servants across government to learn new tools and understand how their programs, policies, and processes can be made better by engaging end users and following Ontario’s Digital and Data Directive.
You will learn how efficient and effective people-centred approaches impact how people build products and services.
You will contribute to building a culture of open communication and participatory methods to share, critique, and improve not only our work, but our way of working.
Most of all, you will inspire your colleagues across the government to improve the experience for the people of Ontario.
What you bring to the team
- You are enthusiastic and eager to learn.
- You are willing to pitch in where needed and can manage your time to provide support to a variety of different projects, with a variety of different tasks.
- You can familiarize yourself with the Digital Service Standard and Ontario’s Digital and Data Directive, and willingly embrace new ideas that put users first to find the best solutions.
- You are eager to work in new ways and understand how technology and digital approaches can impact government service delivery and the changing demand for government services.
- You are collaborative by nature and have experience seeking knowledge from a variety of sources and perspectives.
- You believe diversity and inclusion help create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results. Good government services are built to support all users and diverse perspectives, ideas and opinions are essential to doing that.
Requirements of the job
- You must be enrolled in a co-operative education program approved by a college or university.
- You must be eligible to work in Canada.
- You must be available to work from a location within the province of Ontario.
Research and analysis
- You have strong research and analysis skills to develop evidence-based policy options.
- You have the ability to identify gaps and opportunities to continually improve approaches, policies, and services within a collaborative team environment.
Subject matter expertise
- You have some knowledge of – or an interest in – how digital approaches and technologies (e.g. agile, people-centred design, service design, etc.) can be applied to the design, development and implementation of new forward-looking policy.
- You have some knowledge of – or an interest in learning about – government service delivery processes.
Collaboration and partnerships
- You can work as a part of a multidisciplinary team, requiring strong communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills to balance and mitigate tensions and competing interests across a broad range of internal and external partners.
- You can develop and maintain strong partnerships with other parts of the ODS, other jurisdictions and external colleagues to share best practices and identify issues.
- You work in the open: sharing information, ideas, solutions and encouraging discussion.
- You work as part of a team, but can execute tasks thoroughly and independently.
- You take initiative and step up to support the team; no task is too big or small.
Why join the team
The Digital First team is an enthusiastic, supportive and collaborative group of individuals making government work better for people by delivering simple, effective and straightforward digital services and products and having fun while doing it.
- work that makes an impact
- learning and development opportunities
- open and inclusive work environment
- flexible work arrangements
- Job title: Digital training co-op
- Area of government: Digital First
- Location: Ontario
- Salary: $687.49 - $916.65 weekly before tax, depending on work term
- Job term: Temporary, generally four months or eight months (January - April 2024)
- Hours of work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6)
How to apply
If you’re interested, send us an email with:
- your cover letter and resume in one attached file
- where you saw our job ad
- why this is your dream job
Submit your application by email to email@example.com – put “Digital first co-op” as the subject line.
We’re accepting submissions until Friday, October 20th at 5:00 p.m. EDT.
All applications will be kept on file, and considered for future roles. If you do not want us to keep you on file, please let us know in your application email. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Inclusion and accessibility
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.