Engineering Lead, DevOps
Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received fewer than thirty applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
Join The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) to design and deliver the future of government services.
People are at the heart of our mission to ensure that the government works for everyone. Be a part of an impactful public service and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario, through our work using modern design, data and technology tools and practices.
Help us scale impact across the public sector, tackling some of the most important challenges of our time. We work in an agile multidisciplinary, inclusive, collaborative team.
As an Engineer Lead, DevOps in the ODS, you will be presented with the opportunity to support digital transformation of top government priorities. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary, high-impact team that fosters digital transformation within government while using user-centric design strategies and new technology trends. We are looking for people with a proven background and hands-on experience in implementing complex, IT solutions. The ideal candidate should have at least 8 years of hands-on experience designing, building, delivering, and supporting cloud platforms.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional hands-on experience in all aspects of managing and delivering cloud-based digital products.
Please note: These positions are located in Toronto, however alternate work arrangements are available.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As an Engineering Lead, DevOps, you will:
- Head the delivery of user-centric solution design, development and implementation of cost-effective, high-performing, reliable, and simple to use enterprise IT solutions.
- Have a unique opportunity to contribute in the delivery of the top digital government priorities that have a high impact on the lives of the people of Ontario.
- Build technical roadmaps for ambitious enterprise-level product visions by identifying priorities and opportunities for alignment while managing technical debt.
- Research new technology trends and develop proofs of concept.
- Provide guidance to cross-functional, agile teams in solution development and modern web frameworks related to open source technology solutions that ensure our solutions are available anytime, anywhere, and on any device.
- Be a pioneer for the development and implementation of forward-thinking standards and technologies to support transforming the digital experience for Ontarians interacting with the government.
- Be part of an agile, self-directed, and multi-disciplinary team that includes a Product Manager, Agile Project Manager, Software Developers, User Experience Researchers, Experience Designers, and Content Advisors.
- Be constantly learning new technologies and techniques through research and experimentation.
How do I qualify?
What you bring to the team
- You embrace new ideas that put users first to find the best solutions.
- You are solution-oriented and knows how to get the job done.
- You believe cognitive diversity and inclusion helps create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results.
- You possess proven technical skills and expertise and are not afraid to communicate new ideas and guide the product strategy.
- You have exceptional analytical thinking needed for fast problem resolution of technical nature.
- You have experience negotiating and influencing others by persuasion rather than authority.
- You are proactive, take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, and empowered work environment
- You are committed to sustaining the culture of equality, diversity, and inclusion where teams are supported to achieve the best results for everyone to advance and thrive.
Technical knowledge and skills
- You are a seasoned expert in one of the top cloud platforms like AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
- You have experience in production deploying to and managing Kubernetes.
- You are familiar with container-based virtualization technology like Docker, OCI, and others.
- You have knowledge of DevOps tools and techniques and in-depth technical knowledge of system architectures including technical, data, application, and network architectures.
- You have experience implementing software engineering practices for full software development life cycles (SDLC), including coding standards, code reviews, source code management, build processes, and testing.
- You have experience working independently with high-level direction to build and maintain complex Linux cloud environments, like CentOS, Ubuntu, or CoreOS, to support modern web technologies: LAMP, MERN, MEAN.
- You have extensive knowledge and demonstrated experience in open source search and analytics engines like ElasticSearch (Setup, configuration, watcher, and alerts).
- You have experience in build and configuration tools like Ansible, Terraform, CloudFormation, and others for continuous integration.
- You have integration experience using and building APIs.
- You have worked with relational and non-relational databases like PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, MongoDB, and others.
- You have experience with how Automation Testing can enable Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, and DevOps strategy.
Standards and best practices
- You have experience applying industry cloud and security standards and best practices to your work that can be adopted by others.
- You have designed, implemented, and maintained DevOps continuous delivery pipelines to manage from build to deployment and cloud infrastructure using Infrastructure as code practices.
- You have knowledge of common authentication technologies, security controls, and standard application security tools.
- You have experience in securing environments using offensive and defensive approaches.
- You have shared best practices and tools with your peers across the organization.
- You can research industry best practices to support the DevOps standards, and to apply them to your work.
Communication and collaboration skills
- You are a strong communicator who collaborates on your work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- You have experience influencing others by persuasion – making your case through excellent communication, speaking clearly to be easily understood, and persuasive writing skills.
- You are comfortable steering discussions and selling your ideas to technical and non-technical colleagues, and senior management.
- You are adept at navigating complex issues, handling partners, and stakeholder interactions.
- You have worked with partners to establish relationships with their security, operations, and IT teams.
- You have guided enterprise-level technical, business and people-related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality.
Project and digital expertise
- You are able to articulate methods for build/buy decisions on project components, identify common IT risks and address them with contingency plans and back-out options.
- You have worked on an established environment balancing the need to address technical debt with new enhancements through continuous iterations.
- You have experience in providing production support for multiple cloud environments with a focus on quality, security, reliability, and scalability.
- You have proven judgement and prioritization skills to supervise a team and perform reviews/quality assurance activities. Ability to break down complex, technical processes into simple, logical steps.
- You have championed technology expertise around product development, shared best practices and tools with your peers across the organization, collaborated and shared insights and opinions with others, and shared lessons learned from your work with peers and leaders to help guide your approach to digital transformation.
- You have worked closely with agile product teams in planning product design and development, assisting in formulating product strategy, building a technology roadmap, breakdown the tasks and setting timelines.
Architecture and design
- You have proven experience applying software engineering best practices and architectural principles to cloud-based product delivery.
- You have hands-on experience designing modern architectural patterns to support delivery of large-scale complex IT solutions that are stable, secure, responsive, and scalable.
- You have experience conducting feasibility studies, recommending innovative systems, new and emerging technologies, reviewing new application system architecture or re-engineering legacy systems or enterprise level platforms.
- You can develop architectural solutions to spanning multiple internal/external stakeholders and broadly defined business objectives.
- You can resolve significant integration and technical issues to address multiple systems/applications linkages, interdependencies and impacts where requirements are not initially clear.
Leadership and organizational skills
- You can provide technical leadership and guidance to the teams and partners; schedule activities and explain/document procedures related to the solution architecture and integrations.
- You can establish effective working relationships, obtain buy-in for systems development, promote systems to partners, senior management and stakeholders.
- You have led by example via taking ownership, designing systems, writing code, being proactive and advocating for a collaborative environment.
- You have steered agile teams on large scale, complex products/platforms/services design and initiatives with high levels of autonomy.
- You have experience providing mentorship and guiding the work of team members/colleagues.
- You foster a culture of ownership and technical excellence.
- You energize and motivate the team by recognizing successes and learning from past failures.
OPS commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and anti-racism
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
- Job title: Engineering Lead, DevOps
- Job ID: 170597
- Organization: Ministry of Finance
- Division: Ontario Digital Service / Technology Chapter
- Location: 595 Bay Street, Toronto, Toronto region or any city, anywhere in Ontario
- Salary: $80,595.00 - $117,142.00 Per Year
- Job term: 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months with possible extension, 595 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region
- Schedule: 6
- Compensation group: Association of Management, Administrative and Professional Crown Employees of Ontario
- Job code: 7A003 - InformationTechnology07
How to apply
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6)
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We’re accepting submissions until Tuesday, December 7, 2021 11:59 pm EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.