Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received approximately 62 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
Join The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) to design and deliver the future of government services.
People are at the heart of our mission to ensure that the government works for everyone. Be a part of an impactful public service and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario, through our work using modern design, data and technology tools and practices.
Help us scale impact across the public sector, tackling some of the most important challenges of our time. We work in an agile multidisciplinary, inclusive, collaborative team.
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) Leadership Behaviors defines what it means to be a leader:
- We are responsible for being leaders that demonstrate authenticity, accountability and courage.
- We are innovative by embracing positive disruption, having a future mindset and by developing each other, every day.
- We are collaborative by leading with a common purpose, being inclusive and driving people centered outcomes
Please note: These positions are located in Toronto, however alternate work arrangements are available.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As an Engineering Manager, you will:
- Manage high-impact teams that promote digital transformation within government using user-centric design strategies, agile development approach, DevOps culture and modern technology trends.
- Promote a culture where collaboration, coaching, mentoring, and commitment to continuous learning and servant-leadership practices are valued and exercised.
- Manage, lead and implement complex technology solutions with a hands-on approach to all aspects of the software development life cycle.
- Have the opportunity to support digital transformation of top government priorities.
- Create a safe, open, and accessible environment where debate is encouraged and opinions are respected to facilitate consensus in decision making.
- Enable teams to own their work while ensuring responsibility and deadlines are clear.
- Develop strategies and resolve issues focusing on user needs and data to reveal solutions.
- Remove barriers to the team's progress, ensuring teams are comfortable with failure as they iterate, demonstrate, learn, and grow together.
How do I qualify?
What you bring to the team
- You think digital by default and embrace new ideas that put users first to find the best solutions.
- You believe empowering teams is the best way they will reach their potential.
- You believe diversity and inclusion helps create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results, knowing the best ideas come from everywhere and everyone.
- You have grown and mentored a team of Mobile (iOS and Android) engineers in delivering features.
- You have built and led implementation for solutions for Mobile (Android or iOS), Cloud infrastructure, Security, Automation, DevOps, Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment, Data Integration, APIs, Test Automation, UI/UX and Platforms.
- You have experience delivering large-scale, complex modern technology solutions for cloud-based solutions.
- You have experience supporting growth of a technology team through mobile engineering, software engineering and architectural concepts, best practices, tech roadmaps guidance, open source technologies, governance, and operational support.
- You have a strong perspective that inspires change and motivates the team to develop simple solutions to sophisticated problems with a strong sense of engineering as a craft.
- You are adept at leading by example and managing a motivated mobile engineers including team of Leads, Developers, DevOps and Architects, to own and be accountable for the technical vision.
- You lead with empathy by creating a culture of inclusion, psychological safety, dependability, and continuous learning and fostered an environment of teamwork.
- You espouse the values of servant-leadership and champions change by empowering, inspiring, encouraging collaborative, inclusive, creative team environments and consensus building.
- You demonstrate a high-level of professional judgement, political acuity and interpersonal skills, which inspires trust and confidence.
- You equip the team with tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that manage to the recognition of your team and not just yourself.
- You have experience growing a software development team through recruitment, resourcing, skills assessment, training and people development, assignment of work, determining performance standards and timely peer/performance reviews and feedback, helping them advance in their careers with tailor individual coaching plans.
- You can foster team health and cohesion, ensuring a good mix of technical and soft skills within the team to achieve team objectives.
- You have knowledge of project management methodologies to plan and manage research and analysis projects and deliver results.
- You have demonstrated the ability to work with vendors with knowledge of procurements, contracts negotiations and service level agreements.
- You advocate for the team and can shield the team from interruptions and context-switching.
Strategy and delivery
- You have worked alongside the product managers in product development planning, assisting in formulating product strategy, building a technology roadmap, tech debt and setting timelines in a matrix structure.
- You have experience with creating a clear technology vision and translating it into a practical and implementable technology roadmap.
- You can anticipate and prepare for the future - technology, people, culture and process.
- You have a strategic mindset that is flexible, realistic and goal-oriented, able to balance both short-term and long-term objectives, and how timing, focus, and execution are used to achieve desired outcomes.
- You can collaborate with and across teams to design, build, and ship great experiences for Ontarians.
Project and digital experience
- You have knowledge of agile project management including planning, estimating, budgeting, scheduling, and risk management to effectively manage multiple complex large-scale high priority projects.
- You have experience balancing technical debt against product initiatives and business needs.
- You possess strong analytical, negotiation, problem solving and operational decision-making skills to influence others to find business oriented and collaborative solutions for complex issues.
- You have managed and negotiated IT service agreements using third party vendors and suppliers.
- You have demonstrated the ability to get buy-in from a team to implement new and improved ways of doing things.
Communications, collaboration and partnerships
- You navigate complex environments and situations, balance a variety of viewpoints and mobilize multiple actors to achieve consensus, generate support and produce meaningful outcomes.
- You have demonstrated communication skills to conduct presentations and manage stakeholders and service agreements.
- You seek diverse perspectives to promote bottom-up innovation and create buy-in from all technical stakeholders inside and outside the team.
- You have the ability to flex and meaningfully collaborate with a variety of teams, stakeholders, employees, and clients; a bias toward action and ownership.
- You have developed processes to improve the efficiency of teams and taken steps to help others resolve the conflict and maintain trusting relationships.
Diversity, inclusion, accessibility and anti-racism
The OPS is an innovative, responsive, and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable. Diversifying leadership teams is a top OPS priority with the goal to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most underrepresented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) in leadership positions.
The OPS invites all interested individuals to apply and encourages applications from Indigenous and racialized individuals, and persons with disabilities.
The OPS is an accessible employer and we offer accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process. Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint to learn more about the OPS commitment to advancing racial equity, diversity and inclusion.
The OPS offers employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
- Job title: Engineering Manager
- Job ID: 174974
- Organization: Ministry of Finance
- Division: Ontario Digital Service / Technology Chapter
- Location: 595 Bay Street, Toronto, Toronto region or any city, anywhere in Ontario
- Salary: $79,720.00 - $122,998.00 Per Year*
- Job term: 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months with possibility of extension
- Schedule: 6
- Compensation group: Management Compensation Plan
- Job code: M1003B - Information Technology16
How to apply
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6)
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We’re accepting submissions until Monday, February 7, 2022 11:59 pm EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.