Finish an apprenticeship
Find out what you get when you finish an apprenticeship in a skilled trade – and what you can do next.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Certificate of Apprenticeship
When you complete your training as an apprentice, you get a Certificate of Apprenticeship. We send it to you within six weeks of the date you let us know you’ve completed your training.
Depending on the trade, this could be:
- a letter from the sponsor confirming hours and/or skills
- proof of sign-off on all mandatory skills in the apprenticeship logbook
- the apprenticeship completion form in the apprenticeship logbook
- the skill set completion for sponsors from the apprenticeship logbook
Access the apprenticeship logbooks, or apprenticeship training standards.
We encourage you or your sponsor to speak with your ministry consultant to confirm completion requirements when you’re ready to complete your apprenticeship.
Certificate of Qualification
Once you have your Certificate of Apprenticeship, you can go for the next level of certification.
A Certificate of Qualification (C of Q) can help you get better pay, more job opportunities and more responsibility.
Only trades that have an exam will be granted a Certificate of Qualification. You will be required to write an exam as part of getting a Certificate of Qualification
Who has to write an exam
Some trades that have a Certificate of Qualification (C of Q) exam include:
- automotive service technician
- tool and die maker
- drywall finisher and plasterer
The Skilled Trades Ontario website lists all compulsory and non-compulsory trades.
The C of Q exam is multiple-choice for all trades. You need to score at least 70% to pass, regardless of your trade.
Arrange the exam
To arrange the exam, you need to:
- contact Skilled Trades Ontario to pay exam fee of $150 (+HST)
- 1-855-299-0028 (toll-free)
- 647-847-3000 (GTA)
- contact your local apprenticeship office to book a date for your exam
- exams are offered year-round in ministry exam centres across province
Once you’ve paid the fee and scheduled the exam, you can start preparing for it using the Exam Preparation Guide from Skilled Trades Ontario.
Provisional Certificate of Qualification
When you complete your apprenticeship in a trade that has a C of Q exam, you will receive a Provisional Certificate of Qualification from Skilled Trades Ontario.
This certificate will allow you to continue working in a compulsory trade. The term of this certificate is one year, in which you must write and pass your C of Q exam.
Having a Red Seal qualifies you to work in other provinces and territories without more tests and paperwork.
In Ontario you can get a Red Seal in more than 50 trades, including:
- industrial millwright
- general machinist
- truck and coach technician
View the full list of Red Seal trades
You have to write and pass an exam in a Red Seal trade to get a Red Seal. Find out how to prepare for a Red Seal trade exam.
Apply for money
You may be eligible to apply for the following grants after you complete your Apprenticeship training. These are taxable cash grants of $1,000 per year, up to a maximum of $2,000 per person, for those who are out of high school and training in a Red Seal trade
Apprenticeship Completion Grant (Red Seal)
This one-time $2,000 taxable cash grant is available to those who are out of high school and training in a Red Seal trade.
To qualify, you must have gotten your Certificate of Apprenticeship and your Certificate of Qualification on or after January 1, 2009.
Deadline to apply
You must apply within 12 months following your date of progression
You apply to the federal government for this grant. Learn more about qualifying and applying for the Apprenticeship Completion Grant.
Apprenticeship Completion Bonus (non-Red Seal)
This $2,000 taxable cash grant is available to those who are out of high school and have completed their training in a non-Red Seal trade.
To qualify, you must have:
- gotten your Certificate of Apprenticeship in a trade that either:
- does not have a Certificate of Qualification exam, or
- has only a provincial (non-Red Seal) Certificate of Qualification exam
- been issued a Certificate of Apprenticeship or Certificate of Qualification no more than 180 days prior to the date you are applying.
Deadline to apply
You can apply for the bonus year-round.
We will send you an application when you are eligible to apply for this provincial bonus. For more information, contact your local apprenticeship office.